Country Representative, Nigeria
Country Representative, Nigeria
Based in Abuja, Nigeria
Up to 20 % international travel
Reports to the VP, Acceleration Markets Group
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a motivated group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI Nigeria is one of PSI’s newest platforms. PSI/N is a dynamic organization implementing cutting edge programming to improve women’s access to vital reproductive health services. Having established a large private sector provider network PSI Nigeria is well positioned for continued expansion of its RH product and service portfolio, particularly in the areas of safe abortion and family planning.
For the right candidate, PSI Nigeria offers both an opportunity to manage and grow an exciting program as well as to further develop innovative and relevant programs in the reproductive health sphere. We are looking for a seasoned leader with a solid social marketing background who has demonstrated success in multiple complex, multi-cultural work environments.
The Country Representative acts as PSI’s senior most representative in Nigeria country and has overall responsibility and accountability for PSI’s program. As leader of PSI/Nigeria’s operations, the Country Representative represents PSI to government, key stakeholders and donors; directs PSI/N staff; develops new business opportunities; ensures contract compliance; manages financial, administrative and logistical resources; prepares and executes budgets, marketing plans and work plans; ensures adherence to PSI minimum standards; and assures the effective implementation of of the program overall.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will be responsible for the overall development, management (financial, administrative, and programmatic), and representation of PSI’s activities in Nigeria. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Leadership of a senior management team including departmental heads of team responsible for: marketing and communications; technical services; strategic evidence and research; finance & administration; and human resources.
- Oversight of all projects in platform portfolio, including achievements of program deliverables and targets and spending;
- Development of annual marketing and operational plans together with longer-term strategic plans;
- Fundraising for existing and new activities;
- External relations and positioning of PSI with multiple donors, government, NGO, and commercial entities, including relations with SFH/Nigeria;
- Oversight of internal controls and accountability mechanisms; and
- Program development, including further innovation within existing program areas and expansion into new areas;
- Demonstrate and promote an ethical environment, in line with PSI’s values of honesty and acting with integrity;
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team and PSI assets in all aspects of its work according to best practices, PSI operating standards and field realities;
- Liaise with the Global Security Department and Deputy Regional Director on crucial events, high-risk periods, incident reporting and security policy changes**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience; with minimum of eight years senior leadership experience in at least two African countries;
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.) or equivalent experience;
- Significant fundraising, personnel, operational and financial management experience preferably in Asia, with a technical background in marketing, advertising, or communications a plus;
- Demonstrated strengths in strategic organizational leadership;
- Knowledge of international development and health issues;
- Proven ability to develop and mentor staff;
- Familiarity with the international donor community;
- Experience working in fragile states and/or situations of political sensitivity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and cultural sensitivity.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to:[email protected] or call (202)785-0072.