Job Title: Research Manager, Indonesia
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Special Requirements: Right to work in Indonesia
Reports to: Country Director
Contract: Fixed term, 24 months
Salary: Competitive salary (depending on qualifications and experience)
Closing date: 17th February 2019
To apply please submit a CV with a cover letter detailing how you match the skills, knowledge and experience requirements below. Please state in your cover letter that you have the right to live and work in Indonesia. Applications without this cannot be accepted. Email to: [email protected]
BBC Media Action in Indonesia
BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development organisation, uses the power of media and communication to support people to shape their own lives. Working with broadcasters, governments, other organisations and donors, BBC Media Action provides information and stimulates positive change in the areas of governance, health, and resilience and humanitarian response. This broad reach helps to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
BBC Media Action is setting up a country office in Indonesia and the role will be to support the delivery of our new project which aims to increase public understanding about forests, green growth and sustainability issues in Indonesia through a TV drama and discussion programme.
Overall purpose of job
Reporting to the Country Director, the Research Manager will work alongside the Research Officer and various members of the wider project team to manage the research element of this project. This will include a qualitative panel study and a quantitative survey to help measure impact. He/she will need to work largely independently and will be responsible for implementing the research on the ground, and coordinating with relevant partners to help deliver formative, and monitoring and evaluation activities.
The Research Manager will be responsible for finding research agencies and consultants where needed in order to co-ordinate and implement a range of research activities which will inform, guide, and evaluate project activities through key audience and media insights
Main duties & responsibilities
The Research Manager will need to work largely independently and will be responsible for implementing the research on the ground, and coordinating with relevant partners, to help deliver formative and monitoring and evaluation activities. He/she will:
- Work independently to implement the research design across the project including directing local research staff in conducting primary research, commissioning agencies where relevant and working with research consultants and experts.
- Deliver high-quality research, with technical support and direction from the Research Team in London.
- Work with the Project team to secure relationships with partners required to conduct research.
- Coordinate and work with the Project team to design, analyse and report research so it informs the project and feeds into the production of media content.
- Design, and support others to design, robust research designs and qualitative and quantitative research instruments.
- Undertake qualitative research data collection (e.g. focus group discussions and in depth interviews with audiences and key stakeholders).
- Undertake, or oversee research agencies to undertake, quantitative data collection (e.g. household surveys).
- Manage and support the Research Officer to conduct research.
- Write research reports, presentations and other dissemination products in a range of formats to fulfil the requirements of different audiences, including media creative and production teams, donors, and the communication for development/media development communities.
- Present insights generated from research to project and production teams in an engaging manner.
- Ensure all research activities are conducted in accordance with BBC Media Action’s Assuring Integrity in Measurement (AIM) quality control and ethical standards and in line with GDPR legislation.
- Travel throughout Indonesia and other areas in the region when necessary.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Written and spoken fluency in both English and Bahasa Indonesian
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills to plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines with minimal supervision and respond flexibly to rapidly changing priorities
- Experience of managing a research team
- Good IT skills, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Bachelor degree in social science or other relevant discipline
- Strong background in qualitative and quantitative research skills and in evaluating the effectiveness of projects to specific intended outcomes
- Experience of managing research projects to deliver high-quality research to specific timelines and budgets
- Experience in market or social research in a developmental or research organisation
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating complex projects
- Experience of working in the field in Indonesia
Communication and management
- Ability to communicate research clearly to different types of stakeholders (from journalists, production staff and development practitioners to donors and academics).
- Ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and work as a member of a team, demonstrating good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner organisations.
- Experience in managing a team and supervising the implementation of research activities of other researchers.
- Experience in briefing, mentoring and training others to conduct research.
- Good time management skills, with a track record of delivering research findings to deadline.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Understanding of the role of media and communication in development
- Understanding of the Indonesian development context
- An understanding of governance and/or deforestation issues
- Experience working with vulnerable populations