Job Title: Research Officer, Indonesia
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Special Requirements: Right to work in Indonesia
Reports to: Research Manager
Contract: Fixed term, 24 months
Salary: Competitive salary (depending on qualifications and experience)
Closing date: 17th February 2019
To apply please submit a CV with a cover letter detailing how you match the skills, knowledge and experience requirements below. Please state in your cover letter that you have the right to live and work in Indonesia. Applications without this cannot be accepted. Email to: [email protected]
BBC Media Action in Indonesia
BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development organisation, uses the power of media and communication to support people to shape their own lives. Working with broadcasters, governments, other organisations and donors, BBC Media Action provides information and stimulates positive change in the areas of governance, health, and resilience and humanitarian response. This broad reach helps to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
BBC Media Action is setting up a country office in Indonesia and the role will be to support the delivery of our new project which aims to increase public understanding about forests, green growth and sustainability issues in Indonesia through a TV drama and discussion programme.
Overall Purpose of Job
Reporting to, and under the supervision of the Research Manager, the Research Officer will be primarily responsible for the implementation of both qualitative and quantitative research for the project. This will include a qualitative panel study and a quantitative survey to help measure impact.
The Research Officer will be responsible for ensuring that research design reflects the needs of the project and production, and to ensure that research findings are effectively communicated to all key stakeholders.
Main duties & responsibilities
He/she will be expected to have substantial experience in qualitative research including the design and moderating of focus group discussions, conducting in-depth interviews, and qualitative analysis. He/she will also be expected to have substantial experience in quantitative research including survey design, sampling of quantitative data and quantitative data analysis.
- Under the supervision of the Research Manager, design and implement the research for this project. This will include designing qualitative and quantitative research and tools and conducting fieldwork such as moderating focus groups, conducting in-depth interviews, as well as employing other qualitative/quantitative methods.
- Fieldwork coordination and logistics planning, including carrying out recruitment of research participants.
- Analysis and interpretation of both qualitative and quantitative research, and generation of insights, to inform the development of TV programmes for pre-testing.
- Communicate effectively to all key project stakeholders to ensure effective project communications and management.
- Work closely with the Research Manager to ensure research is effectively delivered to time, quality and budget.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Bahasa Indonesian.
- Experience of designing and managing qualitative and quantitative research in support of practical outcomes.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills.
- Experience of undertaking qualitative fieldwork and adapting methods to challenging and resource-constrained conditions.
- Experience in survey design and implementation.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills, communicating in non-technical language to a range of audiences such as media and development practitioners.
- Excellent track record of delivering research findings on time, and to a high standard.
- Ability to quality assure both quantitative and qualitative analysis and reporting.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Understanding of development issues in Indonesia
- Understanding of the role of media and communication in development
- An understanding of governance and/or deforestation issues
- Experience working with vulnerable populations