UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a future
How can you make a difference?
Under the guidance of the Chief of Field Office the incumbent is responsible for leading, managing and coordinating the development of strategies and initiatives to maximize the role and influence of the private sector in advocacy for childrenâ€™s rights; deepen organizational collaboration with key stakeholders; and provide an interface for environmental scanning, knowledge exchange, resource mobilization, and policy influence. S/He may also serve as a focal point and resource for colleagues on specific thematic areas of strategic relevance for partnership development. The key result is to ensure greater visibility for UNICEF in Nigeria amongst the public and private sectors, and influence in support of its mission.
As the position is Lagos-based, the CAP Manager will also oversee and guide communications with media in Lagos.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Seeks and promotes new partnerships and resource mobilization, working with UNICEF colleagues to identify partnership and resource mobilization needs and broker resource mobilization agreements to meet those needs. Receives and screens inquiries from potential collaborators and facilitates communication with appropriate UNICEF staff. Scans and scouts external environment within designated partnership area for opportunities and risks and shares information in a timely fashion with relevant UNICEF staff. Provides strategic, logistical and programmatic support to senior management and other UNICEF staff in corporate engagement and interaction with partners.
2. Develops and maintains deep knowledge and familiarity with current and prospective partners and relevant stakeholders, contributing to a database of key contacts and to UNICEFs base of knowledge on partnership and resource mobilization. Expands UNICEFs network of key interlocutors to build stronger relationships between UNICEF and governments, other key-decision makers, regional development institutions, foundations, the private sector, international financial institutions and/or relevant constituencies.
3. Develops and implements annual partnership engagement and resource mobilization plans.
4. Acts as focal point for identification and pursuit of opportunities for outreach, engagement, policy influence and collaboration, including on how to anticipate and respond to partners concerns and priorities, ensure that UNICEFs interests, perspectives, and knowledge are taken into account in relevant policy and institutional processes, and ensure that they are fully aware of UNICEFs perspectives, policies, priorities and capabilities. Contribute to the development and management of initiatives for high-level outreach, including for UNICEFs Senior Management.
5. Contributes to the development of new partnership and resource mobilization practices and approaches by formulating recommendations for action based on on-going monitoring, analyzing current trends within designated partners and formulating recommendations for strategy approaches and message development.
6. Contributes to strategies for engagement and the development of communications products to enhance UNICEFs visibility and influence with existing and prospective partners and key stakeholders by providing analysis of the current environment and trends and formulating recommendations for strategy approaches and message development. Works closely with UNICEFs colleagues to ensure that policy advocacy and outreach is strongly grounded in the experience and insights of the programmes that UNICEFs supports. Contributes written inputs for communications instruments that best inform and influence decision makers.
7. Manages media relations with media based in Lagos, overseeing work of the Communications Specialist.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned by the supervisor to ensure the success of the team, including guiding, training, and coaching short-term staff, including interns and consultants, as needed.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
An advanced university degree is required in communications, marketing, international development, public affairs, international relations, political science or other related field
At least five (8) years of progressively responsible professional experience in external relations, liaison and/or any resource-mobilization related activities, preferably in an international organization is required.
Fluency in English is required with knowledge of another UN language considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
HOW TO APPLY:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=519071