Media and Communications Coordinator
Position: Media and Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Advocacy Manager
Supervision of: None
Duty station: North East Nigeria
Duration and type of contract: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
NRC is looking for a Media and Communications Coordinator for our Country programme based in Maiduguri – North Eastern Nigeria. The purpose of the Media and Communications Coordinator position is to support the development and implementation of the media and communication portfolio in all NRC Nigeria program activities.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WaSH); Livelihoods and Food Security; Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Media and Communications Coordinator reports to the Advocacy Manager.
Role and responsibilities Generic Responsibilities:
- Ensure at all times compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements as regards to all printed and online publications.
- Promote, give input, guidance and advice on general communications work, including social media posts and publications for all programmes/Core Competencies.
- Responsible for ensuring production of high quality media and communications materials for both internal and external audiences in line with NRC and donor visibility handbooks.
- Ensure timely implementation of the country communications strategy in line with the NRC Global Communications strategy, and lead the work on updating it when necessary in coordination with line manager and regional advisor.
- Conduct trainings and on the job technical capacity building of programme staff to produce relevant and high quality communication materials.
- Prepare Status Reports as required and requested by line manager.
- Report to and coordinate with the country advocacy manager to ensure close coordination between communication and advocacy in the programme.
- Travel regularly to field offices to attain and document success stories, photos, and other relevant media and communication responsibilities as requested by line manager.
- Attain a technical reporting line with the regional communications manager
- Initiate, research and write targeted information products for NRC Nigeria
- Develop press releases and media products as needed and requested
- Develop and maintain list of media and establish professional media relationships for NRC in Nigeria
- Produce communication and information products including annual/quarterly reports and initial drafts of articles for strategies, reports, press releases, newsletters etc.
- Conduct weekly or daily media monitoring of relevant updates, share analysis periodically with line manager, general management team and staff, either through writing or by presentations
- Develop project/program communication products in liaison with project teams ensuring adherence to NRC standard communication and branding guidelines
Scale and scope of position:
Staff: None (potentially a Communications/Advocacy Assistant) Stakeholders: UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, civil society, governmental bodies, Various Media Houses Budgets: NA Information: NRC Intranet, Internal Newsletters Legal or compliance: NRC Terms of Employment, NRC Security policy, NRC Code of Conduct, NRC Policies, NRC security Standard Operating Procedures
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Advocacy Manager
- NRC Core Competency Program Managers and Coordinators
- Country Director
- Head of Programmes
- Area Manager
- M&E Coordinator
- Grants Coordinator
- Strong and documented writing skills writing for humanitarian organisations or comparable
- Strong and documented experience in working with social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Knowledge of working with donors, visibility standards, and publications’ writing and production
- Previous documented experience in working as a Media or Communication Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- Fluency in Hausa, both written and verbal, is an asset
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience in producing varied communication materials
- Experience with coordinating communication and media content
- Working against tight deadlines and ensuring high quality standards
- Demonstrated ability or experience in finding new creative media angles and new platforms to present communications work.
- Experience in developing and using a variety of social media platforms
- Experience in building relationships.
- Strong communication, coordination and representational skills.
- Contextual knowledge of north east Nigeria is an asset.
- Proactive personality, take initiatives
- Able to empower colleagues and build trust
- Able to planning and deliver results
- Strong analyzing skills
- Handling insecure environment and large workload
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
• The Job Description
• The Work and Development Plan
• Trial Period Performance Review Template
• Mid and End Term Performance Review Template
• The NRC Competency Framework
How to Apply
Interested applicants should click on the below link to submit applications:
Deadline for submission of application is February 8th, 2019.