Area Coordinator (2 positions)
At International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 30 Apr 2019
Position Title : Area Coordinator (2 positions)
Duty Station : Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 April 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cook Islands; Cuba; Cabo Verde; Djibouti; Fiji; Micronesia (Federated States of); Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Iceland; Kiribati; Comoros; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Saint Lucia; Lesotho; Libya; Montenegro; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Namibia; Nauru; Papua New Guinea; Palau; Paraguay; Solomon Islands; Seychelles; Somalia; Suriname; Sao Tome and Principe; Kingdom of Eswatini; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Holy See;
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Vanuatu; Samoa
North-East Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. Consequently, almost 2 million individuals are currently displaced, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States. Many of those are living in overpopulated Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) sites and host communities and are in desperate need of humanitarian assistance. Since mid-2016 IOM have scaled up its humanitarian response programme in North-East Nigeria and is currently implementing Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Displacement Tracking (DTM), Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Mental Health and Psychosocial support (MHPSS), Livelihood and early recovery, and Shelter activities in all the affected states and in particular in Borno.
With the improved access to some of the towns once considered as hard-to-reach, IOM in collaboration with humanitarian partners was able to establish and run 8 field humanitarian hubs in Bama, Gwoza, Ngala, Banki, Monguno, Damasak, Rann and Dikwa Local Government Areas (LGA).
To ensure the efficient and well-coordinated delivery of multi-sectoral activities in these field locations and follow up on the implementation of daily humanitarian activities, IOM is aiming to recruit experienced Area Coordinator’s to be deployed to the 8 field locations in Borno state.
The successful candidate will be working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the administrative supervision of the Head of Maiduguri sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Field Coordination Officer based in Maiduguri and will be responsible for supporting field operations and the relevant authorities for the effective provision of assistance to affected populations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and monitor the activities implemented within the designated area of responsibility assigned to him/her (which may include DTM, Shelter, NFI, CCCM, WASH, or Psychosocial support).
- Provide technical inputs and guidance to facilitate and coordinate rapid, appropriate and comprehensive IOM emergency responses in deep field locations in North East Nigeria.
- Organize and participate in Rapid Assessments and Response missions and activities within the designated area of responsibility. Ensure adherence to IOM’s procedural standards and policies and bring issues to the attention of the supervisor.
- Provide recommendations to Maiduguri based IOM project managers to facilitate well-coordinated, efficient and timely IOM responses at the field level.
- Organize field-level internal operational coordination meetings with relevant IOM team members working at hub level to prioritize and coordinate activities.
- Regularly participate in interagency coordination meetings in designated local government areas (LGA) and follow up on the implementation of action points.
- Assist with training and supervising IOM field team members working in the same LGA.
- Regularly contribute inputs to be used for the preparation and submission of various reports.
- Contribute to the development of new projects by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning and administration of individual projects, and drafting segments of project proposals.
- Liaise with IOM’s Staff Security Unit (SSU) and the Mission Security Focal point as/when required, in close conjunction with the management of IOM Nigeria and in accordance with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) requirements.
- Undertake duty travel and re-deployment to other LGAs according to programme needs and priorities.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Emergency Response and Disaster Management, preferably in the African region is a must;
• Operational and extensive field experience in programme development, implementation and evaluation;
• Experience in post-conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment, project management and administrative and financial management;
• Combination of training and experience in field of operations, preferably in natural disaster or post conflict situations;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions preferably within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any local language, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 April 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Requisition: SVN 2019/119 (P) – Area Coordinator (2 positions) (P2) – Maiduguri, Nigeria (55934686) Released
Posting: Posting NC55934687 (55934687) Released
Years Of Experience: