Shelter Specialist – Nigeria
Do you want to be a part of our Nigeria programme? We are looking for Shelter Specialist in Maiduguri!
Since 2009, northeast Nigeria has been characterized by complex and mixed displacements due to the ongoing conflict. Unpredictable population movements and access continue to be major challenges for humanitarian agencies to respond in a timely and targeted manner to the humanitarian crisis in the northeast. About 1.7 million people are currently displaced by the insurgency in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states, with the majority residing in Borno. As a result of these situations, the demand for long term solutions along with emergency humanitarian support are increasing.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WaSH); Livelihoods and Food Security, Education; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The purpose of the Shelter Core Competence (CC) Specialist position is technical development of the Shelter CC, strategic direction and quality assurance, the CC strategy and quality control. The Shelter CC Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training and capacity building of staff on Shelter technical and other aspects.
The Shelter Specialist reports to the Head of Programme.
- Develop Shelter CC strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs;
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports;
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities;
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation;
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to the implementation team;
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from CC implementation, and incorporate them in CC and staff development processes;
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of Shelter staff;
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Minimum 4 years of experience within a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Minimum 2 years of shelter core competency expertise (as Specialist or Project Manager);
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal;
- Knowledge of the Lake Chad Basin region and northeastern Nigeria context specifically;
- Experience with start-up or expansion of new programmes;
- Experience in team capacity building;
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: June 2019
- Duration: 12 months extendable
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Level: Grade 9 in NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with 40% travel
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.