- What is the TEF-UNDP Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme?
The TEF-UNDP Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme is a partnership between the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) to empower 100,000 additional entrepreneurs over 10 years from seven Sahel African countries: Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroun, Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso.The partnership will target young Africans in under-served communities.
The goal is to create 10million new jobs and contribute at least $10billion to the African economy.
The Programme leverages the tried and validated approach to philanthropy on the continent pioneered by the Tony Eluemlu Foundation. It prioritises and positions entrepreneurship as the key enabler to catalyse the economic development of the African continent.
- Is this different from the Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme?
The Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) Entrepreneurship Programme is the flagship Programme of the Tony Elumelu Foundation—the leading philanthropy in Africa empowering African entrepreneurs.
The TEF Entrepreneurship Programme is the $100million commitment by the Elumelu family to mentor, train and financially support 10,000 African entrepreneurs in 10 years. The Programme is currently in the 5thfifth year of its commitment and has so far empowered over 7,500 entrepreneurs across 54 African countries.
The Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme provides the inspiration for the development of the TEF-UNDP Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme which scales up the impact of the Foundation to empower an additional 100,000 entrepreneurs specifically from seven countries in Africa’s Sahel region.
- What will African entrepreneurs gain from the Programme?
African entrepreneurs will gain non-refundable seed capital, access to a 12-week business training and mentoring. They will also receive visibility and numerous business networking opportunities.
- What are the criteria for applying?
- You must be an African entrepreneur residing in any of the listed countries: Northern Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroun, Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso
- Your business must not be more than 3years in existence. Potential businesses at the idea stage are encouraged.
- When is the application deadline for the 2019 application window?
The deadline for the 2019 applications is August 5, 2019.
Following the end of the application window, an initial longlist of 5,500 applicants will be selected to undergo the 12-week business training. After the training, the final shortlist of 2,000 applicants will be announced to join the previous 2019 TEF cohort.
- Where can entrepreneurs apply?
The applications will be run on TEFConnect, the largest digital networking platform for African entrepreneurs.
Interested entrepreneurs can apply on www.tefconnect.comor visit the nearest UBA branch in any of the listed countries.
- Where can I find out more information?