Project Manager, Algeria and Tunisia
Job Title: Project Manager, Algeria and Tunisia
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Special Requirements: Right to work in Tunisia
Reports to: Senior Project Manager, North Africa
Contract: Full-time, till end of March 2020 with possible extension
Salary: Highly competitive within Tunisia, NGO market rates
Closing date: By 5pm on Monday 20th January 2020
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: [email protected] or [email protected]– please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send by 5pm on Monday 20th January 2020.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tunisia and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development organisation, uses the power of media and communication to inform, connect and empower people around the world, helping them to shape their own lives. BBC Media Action is independent from the BBC, but shares the BBC’s fundamental values and has partnerships with the BBC World Service and national broadcasters that reach millions of people in developing countries. BBC Media Action requires a dynamic manager with solid project management and media experience to ensure the successful delivery and development of the BBC Media Action programmes in Tunisia & Algeria, working largely on media development and governance projects.
Overview of the role
The Project Manager is responsible for the development, management and evaluation of BBC Media Action’s projects with a current focus on Tunisia and Algeria. You will develop a close and supportive working relationship with local partners and stakeholders in Tunisia and Algeria, such as public service broadcasters, civil society organisations and local NGOs, as well as with key international players and diplomatic missions. The role involves a great deal of day-to-day autonomy as well daily work in English, French and Arabic-speaking environments within the office or on location. The Project Manager may at times be required to work long hours, on weekends or on public holidays.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing BBC Media Action’s Algeria and Tunisia project(s) activities and ensure these activities are delivered on time, within the agreed budget and to the highest standards.
- Ensure projects are legally and financially compliant and in line with BBC editorial standards, BBC Media Action approaches and best practice.
- Manage project and organisational risk, including the development of contingency plans.
- Follow BBC safety requirements and instructions, especially in relation to risk assessments, travel, production, emergencies and hostile environments.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and management of coherent training and development programmes as required, in line with project(s) objectives. This includes identifying and sourcing trainers/consultants, as required.
- Work closely with local and international project(s) partners to coordinate the implementation of consultancies, training/capacity building and outreach activities as well as production of media outputs.
- Produce narrative and financial reports for donor(s) and internal audiences using agreed templates as required.
- Prepare monthly reforecasts of project(s) budget(s) and activity plan(s), working with local and headquarter finance teams.
- Review trainer/consultant reports within agreed timelines and communicate them appropriately to partners.
- Support Senior Project Manager and Country Director in identifying business development opportunities, assessing local development needs, holding discussions with donors and partners, designing new projects and writing proposals and budgets as required.
- Actively contribute to country strategy development and implementation.
- In coordination with Senior Project Manager and relevant London-based teams, ensure visibility of project(s) in North Africa and internationally, which may include ensuring the development of visibility outputs in English, Arabic and French.
- Represent BBC Media Action at international and local stakeholder coordination meetings and engage in discussion with international donors in Tunisia, as required.
- Deputise for the Senior Project Manager as required.
- Line-manage the locally based project team as required.
- Support induction of new staff and carry out other agreed tasks as assigned by the Senior Project Manager.
- Understand and comply with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- Experience of successful project management, ideally in the media development field, including developing, delivering, monitoring and closing projects.
- Experience in coordinating complex project activities and implementing training and capacity building programmes with international components.
- Good understanding of core BBC values.
- Knowledge and understanding of the varying needs and interests of audiences and beneficiaries in North Africa, Algeria and Tunisia in particular.
- Demonstrable experience of writing successful proposal documents for different donors and in producing internal and donor reporting.
- Experience in developing and managing international project budgets.
- Experience in developing and leading small teams from different backgrounds both on site and remotely.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven track record in forming effective relationships with a range of local and international partners.
- Willingness to contribute to the ongoing development of BBC Media Action’s strategy for the region.
- Experience of delivering project activities in a constantly changing environment and willingness to adapt activities and methods to changing local context and needs, assessing and mitigating risks as relevant.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Able to work in Arabic and/or French to a high standard.
- Readiness to work in office or on location and to work long hours, on weekends or on public holidays as reasonably required.
- Experience living and working in North Africa or the Middle East, ideally in the development and/or media field.
- Experience in media and production (television, radio and digital/social media).