Senior Technical Advisor
Closing Date:11 March 2020
Contract Start:01 September 2020
Contract End:31 December 2020
iMMAP is an international non-for-profit organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
Scope of Work
The Senior Technical Advisor (STA) is a key position to support and provide advice for all individuals and organizations targeted by iMMAP operations globally. The STA will support the iMMAP Planning and Development Director (PDD) and the Global Communications Manager (GCM) with overall Program of Work and Strategy.
The STA will be the advisor to the PDD regarding both strategy and structure, and Program of Work development for iMMAP tools and products developed by iMMAP globally. This will Include providing support to the GCM for coordination and supervising the Development team in Medan-Indonesia prioritizing to iMMAP internal software development.
The STA will work with the iMMAP CEO, iMMAP Operations Director, iMMAP Country Representatives and iMMAP Communications Officer globally to ensure efforts of iMMAP are strategically aligned.
The STA will also work with iMMAP country representatives and Program Managers globally to provide inputs on technical proposal writing for but is not limited to Software development, Spatial Analysis, M&E and Assessment projects.
The STA will also be responsible to develop a strategy to increase the efficiency of IT Infrastructure cost to make sure there are no unnecessary expenditures that will include but is not limited to servers and subscribed services within iMMAP globally.
The STA will be responsible to identify, plan, and oversee potential expanding the existing successful iMMAP products from any country office to another country office.
The STA position is based remotely with frequent travel to support the team directly or when required.
iMMAP G&A (Global)
● Review, implement and supervise the structure for development of internal iMMAP tools and systems globally prioritize to iMMAP Website, HR Roster, iGRC;
● Create an iMMAP help desk accessible to all iMMAP personnel that aims to;
o Improve visibility of iMMAP Products and Product development, including resource utilization.
o Provides a means for iMMAP personnel to request and receive support and guidance on iMMAP Products from iMMAP development hubs.
● Provide technical advice to the focal points for all ongoing iMMAP Products and any new future initiatives.
● Outline standardized user metrics (page views, visits, downloads, uptime etc) across all iMMAP Products and the means to obtain them.
● With the GCM, outline basic communication strategy and approach for all of iMMAPs Products (monthly newsletter, blog, feature updates, new stories etc).
● Develops System Requirement Specification and Tutorial for iMMAP internal tools and any new future initiatives.
● Support the iMMAP Planning and Development Director (PDD) and the Global Communications Manager (GCM) with overall Program of Work and Strategy.
● Provide technical advice to the PDD regarding both strategy and structure, and Program of Work development for iMMAP tools and products
● Ensure efforts of iMMAP are strategically aligned
● Contributing to technical proposal writing for but not limited to Software development, Spatial Analysis, M&E and Assessment projects.
● Develop a strategy to increase the efficiency of IT Infrastructure cost that will include but is not limited to servers and subscribed services within iMMAP globally.
● Identify, plan, oversee and implement the potential of expanding the existing successful iMMAP products from any country office to another country office.
● Engaging iMMAP staff with the soft launch of internal iMMAP products
Whilst representing iMMAP, the following points should be adhered to;
● Represent iMMAP at conferences and in meetings with national and international donors, partners and organizations.
● Prepare and deliver presentations on iMMAP operations, tools, services and capabilities as required.
● Share knowledge and offer technical advice to other iMMAP Offices when required
● Adhere to iMMAP branding guidelines for all iMMAP products and correspondence.
● Monitor changes in technology, partner organizations, humanitarian and development sectors.
Chain of Command
The iMMAP STA line manager is the iMMAP Planning and Development Director.
The STA will work in close consultation with the Global Communication and Outreach Manager along with other members of the iMMAP team, other country teams and with iMMAP headquarters Team.
● Over 10 years of experience in the field of Information Management (IM).
● University degree with a specialization in information management, computer information systems, database administration, knowledge management or geographic information systems.
● Expert knowledge of open source and open standards for information exchange over the web (HTTP, RestAPIs, Microservices).
● Expert knowledge of GIS software, technical products, tools and geospatial databases, in particular GDAL and PostGIS.
● Extensive experience with MVC frameworks preferably with Laravel frameworks.
● Knowledge of Laravel is preferable.
● Hands on experience with software development and documentation.
● Knowledge of software development life cycle is a must (AGILE?)
● Understanding of information architecture and familiarity with developing user flows.
● Expert Knowledge of Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards.
● Knowledge of Remote Sensing Software (e.g. Erdas Imagine/ENVI).
● Track records of information management products developed for United Nations agencies and/or other International Organizations.
● Exceptional project management and organization skills.
● Knowledge of Laravel platform and / or full-stack development (HTML5, CSS3) is a plus.
● Proven ability and experience interacting with a wide range of organizations while upholding humanitarian principles of impartiality and neutrality.
● Practical experience working in emergency response or other fast-paced high-stress environment.
● Experience in guiding development teams, in particular on open source and open standards.
Physically fit and able to cope with the demands of unusual working hours and difficult environments.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation.
Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.