PROJECT OFFICER (EDUCATION)
Post Number : [[6ETEDPA013ICB]]
Grade : [[P3]]
Parent Sector : [[Education]]
Duty Station: [[Addis Ababa (IICBA)]]
Job Family: [[Education ]]
Type of contract : [[Project Appointment ]]
Duration of contract : [[1 year with the possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds]]
Recruitment open to : [[Internal and External candidates ]]
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : [[26th January 2020]]
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, with guidance from the Director of the Institute for Capacity Building in Africa (IICBA), and under the direct supervision of the IICBA Senior Education Programme Specialist, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to UNESCO and IICBA’s work on HIV and health education programmes in the Africa region through effective planning, implementation and monitoring of teacher training program specifically for the “Our Rights, Our Lives, Our Future” (O3) Programme. S/he will perform the following duties:Long Description
Programme and technical support
- Coordinate the implementation of UNESCO and IICBA’s teacher education programs on HIV and health education in the Africa region;
- Provide support on the development of new tools and resources for effective and quality pre- and in-service teacher training and capacity development programs for health education, in consultation with the Section for Health and Education, UNESCO’s Regional HIV and Health Advisors, and country offices;
- Work with the member states to strengthen systems for continuous professional development of teachers and teacher educators in HIV and Heath education;
- Support the continued development and roll-out of online teacher training course on HIV prevention and Health education and other innovative approaches for scaling-up teacher training.
2. Orientation training, support and professional development
- Provide technical support, capacity building and mentorship to UNESCO national program officers and focal points towards the implementation of quality teacher education and training programs for HIV and Health education;
- Provide technical support and guidance to member states to improve and devise innovative ways to scale up HIV and Health Education training programs for pre- and in-service teachers in Africa.
3. Liaison with UNESCO structures and partners
- Support UNESCO’s strategies on strengthening HIV prevention and comprehensive sexuality education through teacher training and higher education in line with SDG4 – Education 2030 and the AU (2063) agenda;
- Liaise with the UN and development partners’ working groups and actively participate in cluster and coordination meeting at the regional and African Union level in line with the mandate and priorities of UNESCO and IICBA’s work on HIV and health education programmes for teachers in Africa.
4. Planning, Research, M&E and Reporting
- Coordinate and implement the research agenda for UNESCO and IICBA’s work on HIV and health education programmes for teachers in Africa and report on national and regional priorities, emerging issues, developments and challenges in relation to UNESCO’s areas of expertise and efficiency;
- Support UNESCO national program officers and focal points to develop annual workplans and reports on teacher development and training for HIV and health education in line with results based M&E;
- Prepare updates and contribute to the annual and biannual reports on implementation of the Our Rights, Our Lives, Our Future programme for the UNESCO’s Executive Board, and to donors.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C)Accountability (C)Innovation (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)– For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to Masters) in education, social sciences, public health or related field
- At least 4 years of relevant professional experience, acquired at national and international level, in one or more of the following themes: teacher training, curriculum development, HIV and sexuality education, health education or related area
- Fluency (oral and written) in English or French required, with proficiency in the other language.
- Additional academic or professional qualifications in the areas of teacher training, curriculum development, HIV and sexuality education, health education or related areas
Skills and competencies
- Ability to commission, review and/or synthesise academic research on health and education;
- Thorough professional knowledge and experience on teacher training and curriculum development and experience with digital tools to train teachers on a large scale.
- Knowledge of another UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website and UNESCO’s career website.ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
.Apply now »