Special Assistant to the Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, P3, Abuja Nigeria (Fixed Term)
Job Number: 529360 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Nigeria
Work Type : Fixed Term Appointment
Nigeria piloted the UN ‘Delivering as One’ (DaO) initiative in some selected states through the UNDAF II. This pilot was aimed at unifying and aligning the work on the UN system in Nigeria to efficiently and effectively deliver results in support of national priorities. Building on this pilot, the UN system, Government and other stakeholders formulated the UNDAF/P III under DaO modality for 2014-2017. With the QCPR recommendation of DaO as not option going forward, the UNCT in Nigeria is determined to implement the full SOPs of Dao under the new UNDAF currently under formulation.
Although Nigeria is largely a development context, there are many pockets of emergency and humanitarian challenges resulting from natural and man-made sources. The insurgency in North-East Nigeria since 2013 in particular, has resulted in a humanitarian situation that requires enhanced support of the UNCT/HCT and partners to support the Government to address expeditiously with lifesaving and durable solutions for the 8.5milion affected population. The combined development and humanitarian challenges including the current recession of the economy have exacerbated the situation and stretched the limited capacity supporting the resident coordination system in Nigeria. With the implementation of the UNDAF/P underway, new UNDAF formulation, HNO/HRP and the determination/vision of the new RC/HC and UNCT to bridge the humanitarian and development divide the UN system is seeking to enhance the capacity of the RCO for a strategic support to cope with the increasing demands in Nigeria.
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall guidance of the RC/HC, and direct supervision of the Head of RC Office/Strategic Planning Advisor, the SARC will support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the UN Country Team and provide support to the RCO in coordinating and planning a coherent UN response to national development/humanitarian priorities. She /he will collaborate with the UNCT members, RC/HC Office staff, programme and operations teams of the UN Agencies, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Effective coordination and communication across the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator’s multiple responsibilities
- Support implementation of the RC/HC Office work plan, and the RC/HC vision;
- Assist the RC/HC and the Head of Office in the day to day management and coordination of the RC Office, including setting priorities, providing follow up and feedback, and ensure progress towards agreed results;
- Conducts research, review, and analysis of key documents for the RC/HC as requested;
- Provide thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country;
- Coordinate inputs for talking points and briefs in advance of the RC/HC’s meetings, review incoming briefs and ensure timely submission, and
- Accompany the RC/HC in high-level meetings as needed; draft correspondence, notes-to-the-file and contribute to the preparations of speeches, reports, presentations, etc. as needed.
- Provide support to RC/HC-O and UNCT in the roll-out of the UNDAF 2018-2022
- Provide support to the UNDAF Working Group and effectively liaises between the Working Group, the UNAF Results Groups chairs and the RC/HC-O;
- Assist the RC/HC-O and the UNCT in carrying out the UNDAF Evaluation and the following Common Country Analysis;
- Provide assistance to the RC/HC-O and the UNCT to develop the UNDAF document, its results matrix and joint work plans, and
- Lead the implementation of the frequent monitoring initiative and support the inclusion of this mechanism in the UNDAF M&E framework.
- Provide support to the UN SDGs Group for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in Nigeria
- Support UN Agencies to ensure the results-oriented focus of joint programming and joint programmes;
- Regularly update the information on ongoing joint programmes, including data on funding requirements;
- Provide support to the RC/HC-O and the UNCT to gradually implement the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering As One;
- Collect and disseminate global practice in the field of Delivering as One while supporting the implementation of these practices locally.
- Support the RC/HC Office in Nigeria in performing its coordination and aid coordination functions as needed
- Assist in the RC/HC-O in the day-to-day systematization of the activities and support knowledge management, making sure that documentation is timely drafted, and policies and analysis are shared within the unit;
- Provide assistance to the work of the RC/HC-O in the support to the Government of Nigeria in strengthening national aid coordination and aid effectiveness mechanisms
- Contributes flexibly to other activities of the RC/HC-O team in support of the RC/HC system and Delivering as One as required, including backstopping arrangements.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results
- Provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals, and
- Identification of national policies and institutions that require strengthening to ensure effective UNDAF implementation and provision of advice in close consultation with UNCT.
To qualify for this role, you will have:
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or Degree equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in international development issues and providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Previous experience in UN Coordination and UNDAF mechanisms is considered an asset.
- Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Generates for regional and innovative ideas and effective solutions to problems
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Documents successes and uses them to project a positive image
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
In-depth Knowledge of the Subject Matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of the primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as an internal consultant in expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates an understanding of client’s perspective
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Knowledge of all facets of monitoring and evaluation of development programs, international and government planning processes, design and implementation of data collection, analysis and reporting systems, the conduct of surveys for data generation, analysis and reporting;
- Ability to design clear and realistic M&E systems for development programmes and projects, including baselines, targets and impact indicators; monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Ability to lead research processes, develop questionnaires, analyses data and identify significant research findings;
- Ability to convey complex concepts, findings, and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- Ability to integrate knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives;
- Ability to apply independent judgment and discretion in advising on and handling M&E issues and problems;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management and M&E tools (UNDP and other UN agencies) and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Primary – Building Strategic Partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UN/UNCT’s strategic agenda
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors, and other international organizations to the UN/UNCT’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for joint efforts
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UN/UNCT’s mandate
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Effectively attentive to programmatic synergies in inter-agency meetings
Secondary – Knowledge Management
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with a similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names, and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Opening Date Fri Jan 24 2020 09:00:00 GMT+0100 (WAT) W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Feb 13 2020 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (WAT)