APM Terminals is one of the world’s leading container terminal operating and management companies, with a comprehensive and geographically balanced Global Terminal Network of over 50 integrated facilities in 31 countries and five continents. Providing over 60 shipping lines with world-class service, reliability and efficiency, APM Terminals is also one of the world’s fastest-growing terminal operating companies, with the largest capacity of any terminal operator, and 14 new or expanded facilities currently in development or under construction in Europe, North America, South America, Southeast Asia, Africa and the Far East. Established as an independent company with the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group of Denmark in 2001, APM Terminals, with corporate headquarters in The Hague, Netherlands, is dedicated to redefining the terminal operations industry through innovation, new standards of customer service, efficiency and productivity, and a commitment to excellence in everything we do.
Senior HSE Manager – APM Terminals, Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria
Senior HSE Manager
The Senior HSE Manager position offers an outstanding opportunity to join the global team at APM Terminals and contribute to the success of the organization. The position reports to Managing Director.
· Develops, improves and maintains the company’s Health, Safety and Environmental systems, implementing policies, procedures and systems to provide for a safe business operation.
· Maintains up-to-date information and knowledge on new developments in the area of Safety, Health, Environment, and Loss Prevention. Seeks out best practices within the industry and internationally to ensure continuous improvement within the organization
· Represents the company with local government organizations related to safety and health, in order to ensure a mutual understanding of the Company’s goals and requirements, and to work in a co-operative partnership with local resources.
· Inspects organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented
· Prepares studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies
· Leads the investigation of accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization in hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations.
· Compiles and submits accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
· Advises senior management on HSE strategies
· Actively pursues continuous improvement in all HSE systems and HSE performance
* Requires a University degree or higher degree and certification in safety, health, and environment.
* Requires a proven record of HSE Management experience in safety, health environment/quality with a multinational company – preferably in the fields of logistics, mining or petroleum operations
* Familiarity with international safety standards (ISO) for Health, Safety and Environment – or similar national standards
* Familiarity with Nigerian national safety standards, and regulations
* Requires good verbal and written communications skills in English
* Strong personal drive and commitment to continuous improvement
* Good presentation skills
* Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills
* Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives. Effective interpersonal skills
* Knowledge and experience relating to the handling of dangerous goods & emergency situations.
* A truly international working environment in a modern working location
* Value and team-based leadership
* An open and engaging working environment
* A wide range of international career opportunities
* Opportunities for personal and professional growth in a dynamic environment
* Competitive compensation packages
This position is a local position, based in Lagos Nigeria and will remain posted until 23rd January, 2011.
Please apply through the job portal and ensure to upload/attach a recent CV.
If you have any questions or would like further information, you are welcome to contact Jean Chukwura on [email protected] or +234 1 8995140.
Apply for this position
Expires: 1/23/2011 Ref: 55183