INTERSOS Vacancy Details
Job Title:Camp Management and Camp Coordination (CCCM) and Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) CoordinatorCodeSR-49-1409
Duty Station:Abuja with missions to the field office in Maiduguri and the field bases (Ngala, Bama, Banki, Damasak, Monguno, Magumer, Dikwa in Borno State) and other parts of Nigeria as well.Starting date01/04/2020Contract duration4 MonthsReporting to Programme CoordinatorSupervision ofnoneDependentsnoGeneral context of the project
The CCCM/RRM Coordinator is overall responsible for the RRM Project within Intersos, coordinating with other RRM donors and partners. This is a central role to INTERSOS’ emergency response work in Nigeria and plays a key role in supporting collaborative humanitarian response across a wider geographical area. It may involve high profile work with other consortium partners and major humanitarian actors, providing a platform for coordinated rapid response for the most vulnerable IDPs. The CCCM/RRM is also responsible of the oversight and support to ensure timely, effective and efficient programme delivery in the field through sound leadership, supervision and monitoring to achieve measurable results for emergency response and regular programme. The incumbent reports to the programme Coordinator and Head of Mission and has a supervisory role of Field offices.
This position is subject to project award and funding. General purpose of the position
Matrix relationships and accountabilities:
- Internal: Project Managers, Technical Coordinator and Programme Coordinator
- External: RRM Partners and members of national and local coordination mechanism
- Budgeting Responsibility: Yes, for relevant budget lines for the project, in liaison with the PMs.
- Knowledge required includes humanitarian management and coordination expertise as well as a broad understanding of Nigeria’s humanitarian architecture and different dimensions of rapid humanitarian response, specifically with regards to specialise knowledge of Health & Nutrition, CCCM and general knowledge and experience with Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Protection.
- Required to contribute to the development of strategic planning to achieve long term significant impact for the RRM response mechanism.
- Builds conducive working relationships with project and support teams, consortium partners, humanitarian agencies and local/national authorities.
- Supports the PMs and the PC in inter-agency dialogue among consortium partners on difficult issues, for common ground and navigating obstacles.
- Supports the PMs and the PC in representing Intersos in RRM consortium business at various levels (national/local authorities, NGOs, UN agencies, donors).
- Management of internal human and financial resources and external consultants as requested by the PC/PMs.
- Required to operate to tight deadlines using independent judgement.
- Leads on objective within a specific program unit/ team and contributes to Intersos’s overall humanitarian objective in Nigeria.
- High levels of creativity, and innovative problem-solving.
- Analyses, interprets and acts on complex information from varied and diverse sources.
- Applies expert knowledge of external and internal environment.
- Provides the HC and PMs with specialist advice for specific issues concerning the RRM.
- Decisions could have significant impact on public image of the consortium members.
- Problems encountered are liable to be highly diverse and complex, requiring comprehensive analysis from a wide variety of sources and strong leadership.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Support the development and roll out of RRM assessment tools together with the Programme Coordinator and PMs and ensure coordination in the sectors.
- Ensure Gender and Protection is mainstreamed throughout assessment tools.
- Review and disseminate assessment reports as requested by the PC/PMs.
- Within Intersos lead and/or participate in multi-sectoral needs assessment in targeted and new areas of emergency intervention as directed by the line manager.
- Contribute to the development of RRM strategy, concept development and programme/ project design.
- Lead and assist teams in conducting MUAC screening to identify malnutrition cases for referral to malnutrition service providers
- Coordinate monitoring market prices of basic commodities in affected areas
- To Lead and participate in local partnership assessments for Emergency Rapid response in targeted LGAs.
Strategy Design, Development and Implementation
- Support the design, development and implementation of Intersos’s strategic priorities for the RRM, including participation and influencing relevant national fora as directed by the PC/HOM.
- Ensure that appropriate consultation is carried out with RRM programme and support teams throughout the project.
- Develop and work with others to implement shorter term work plans and action plans to implement the RRM consortium project.
- Work with Head of Bases/PMs implementing projects under RRM to identify strategic priorities to ensure linkages from local to national level and vice versa.
- Play a significant role in leading RRM within Intersos as a relevant and accountable mechanism for timely humanitarian response of a high quality, regardless of location.
- Support the Sector Coordinators (Protection, Health & Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihood) in ensuring key humanitarian standards and programme quality aspects related to Protection, Health & Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihood are mainstreamed and further developed within the RRM project implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure the multi-sectoral emergency responses are planned implemented and monitored in an integrated way.
Internal Coordination and Programme Management Support
- Lead and support RRM programme and support staff, often remotely, to deliver high impact work, ensuring appropriate application of the RRM project design and taking into account emerging opportunities.
- Support PMs as required in following up key RRM business support related issues are fast-tracked at Abuja level including but not limited to procurement, finance, HR and other administrative matters.
- Prepare and chair regular Intersos RRM coordination meetings, ensuring minutes of discussions and actions are captured and timely shared.
Analysis and External Engagement
- Support the PC in building and maintaining strong professional relationships with important stakeholders (ECHO, OFDA, UNHCR, WFP, UNICEF) and other major humanitarian donors, clusters and relevant national authorities in Nigeria.
- Responsible for mitigating any reputational risk to the RRM within area of expertise and responsibility.
- Represent Intersos during RRM foras externally as required including representation in relevant coordination fora, conferences and workshops at different levels.
Funding, Budget Management, Proposal Development and Reporting
- Follow up on project implementation progress and regular reporting within Intersos, pro-actively addressing any implementation concerns.
- Work with RRM programme and finance staff to ensure that monthly and donor narrative reports are of high quality and consistent with the financial reports.
- Present monthly/donor reports for timely sign off by the PC to enable timely submission to the consortium lead.
- Contribute and support fundraising for the continuation of the RRM mechanism as required.
- Provide, compile and share other reports and written work as required within Intersos and to other consortium members.
- Together with the Security focal points, assess risks in the areas of project implementation and develop context specific CPP, MOSS and SOPs
- University degree; preferably an advanced degree in an appropriate field such as Business Administration, Economics, International Relations or Development Studies
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in complex emergency settings
- Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa.
- Significant knowledge and experience and practice of humanitarian assistance, with at least 4 years implementation experience in complex emergencies, including insecure environments.
- A good understanding of emergency health and nutrition, food security and livelihood needs of displaced people in rural and urban settings and appropriate ways of tackling them. The post holder must be aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women and vulnerable people in this context.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the workings of the international humanitarian system, including understanding of context, dilemmas, challenges and ways of working; humanitarian coordination and the UN cluster system.
- Ability to appropriately represent Intersos and its participation in a collaborative consortium to a variety of audiences, from authority officials and donors to a wide range of humanitarian practitioners.
- Great communication skills, with a demonstrable ability to articulate complex and sometimes competing ideas and experiences simply.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, and ability to manage own workload and meet organisational and external deadlines.
- Proven programme management, coordination and diplomacy skills, including strong skills in narrative and financial management and reporting,
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural team skills, together with the ability to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities, even when working remotely.
- Strong commitment to gender, protection and humanitarian action, with a high level of energy and creativity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Previous experience in working with Intersos or similar INGO in Nigeria.
- Experience managing NGO consortium projects.
Founded in 1992, INTERSOS is an independent organisation,partner with the main institution and international and european agencies.INTERSOS is a member of ICVA, VOICE, LINK2007,“Coalizione Italiana Stop all’Uso dei Bambini Soldato”,“Campagna Italiana contro le Mine” and has the privilegeof having the advisory status at theUnited Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).