Director of Programmes, BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We believe in the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
We reach more than 100 million people a year, helping them make sense of events, engage in dialogue and take action to improve their lives. We support media and communication efforts that strengthen governance, improve people’s health, strengthen the resilience of vulnerable groups and help them survive, and recover from, natural disaster and other humanitarian emergencies.
As a member of the Management team and reporting to the CEO of BBC Media Action, the post holder will help lead BBC Media Action overall to drive the organisational strategy through programme design and delivery.
There will be overall responsibility for BBC Media Action’s global country programmes, achieved through leadership and line management of Regional Directors who in turn manage small London support teams and Country Directors who manage their country teams.
- Through the Editorial, Digital and Innovation Team – support capacity building of media partners – supporting quality of output, ensuring staff understand editorial standards and compliance so that our work is in line with BBC values and guidelines.
- Organisational lead on Safeguarding, with line management of the Head of Safeguarding. Responsible for organizational best practice in this area and for robust reporting and investigation processes.
- Health and Safety – the senior point of contact on safety and security matters, primarily relating to staff safety in country offices, and for policies that result in risks being appropriately mitigated.
- As a member of the Management Team of BBC Media Action, supports the CEO in setting and managing the budgetary, strategic, human resources, business development and other priorities of the organisation, engaging with staff across Media Action and with Trustees where appropriate.
Are you the right candidate?
- As an expert in their field, they will provide professional leadership and act as a role model to their teams and colleagues.
- Adept at managing numerous, diverse senior and executive level stakeholders, often operating under tight timescales and managing numerous competing priorities. Experience of operating at a senior level in the public sector and/or dealing with external/governmental stakeholders.
- A convincing and persuasive communicator, required to modify beliefs and opinions of teams, as well as senior stakeholders, able to establish effective and collaborative relations across BBC departments, and external agencies/stakeholders where required.
- Extensive experience in managing significant budgets and understanding key financial drivers.
- A deep functional/technical expert in the development sector with broad and comprehensive understanding of theories, systems and practices e.g. of theories of change
- Possess a strong understanding of media, preferably gained through a professional background in media, as well as international development. A relevant in-depth knowledge of current media trends and issues relating to Media Action’s work.
- Substantial people management and team leadership experience.
- A commitment to BBC Media Action’s values and ability to inspire staff to live up to them including around safeguarding.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Ibex House
There would be an opportunity for this role to be 4 days per week.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
- BBC Values
- Job description
|Closing Date||21 January, 2020|
|Job Category||Fundraising & Partnerships|
|Business Unit||News – MediaAction|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Job Title||Director of Programmes|