Purpose of job:
This post is responsible for the strategic development and leadership of the South Africa Examinations business to meet financial and non-financial targets. The post holder will lead on the organisational development and implementation of a change programme as part of the wider regional Exams Transformation project.
The post holder is also responsible for budget management and oversight of business activity and growth in the supported Examinations operations of Namibia and Mozambique.
Principal areas of responsibility include team leadership; development and implementation of commercial strategy; operational leadership; business planning, reporting and assurance; financial management; key stakeholder development and management; and Organisational Design development and implementation.
Context and environment:
Background The British Council South Africa’s vision is of a deeper, more trusting and mutually beneficial relationship between our countries, creating a prosperous future for the people of South Africa and the UK. We have ambitious plans for growth, and this post holder is critical in delivering on these plans.
We will work with South African partners, drawing on UK expertise to:
– Connect students, scholars and academics to information and study opportunities with the UK
– Offer opportunities for South Africans to learn new skills, and connect with their peers in the UK face-to-face and on-line
– Improve the quality of UK and South African school leadership, education systems and assessment methods
– Connect young South Africans to enhanced English language learning opportunities, and access to internationally recognized qualifications to enable personal and professional development.
– Create a new generation of collaborations between artists and creative entrepreneurs in South Africa and the UK through our Connect ZA programme.
South Africa has emerged as a major economic and political world power, building strong links across the world, which will define its future global relations.
It is essential that the British Council’s work demonstrates the mutual benefits flowing from close ties between the UK and South Africa.
Around the world, there is a high demand for the UK’s principal cultural assets of education, the arts and creative industries, the English language and UK qualifications.
The British Council in South Africa seeks to increase engagement with UK cultural, education and scientific institutions, artists, producers, entrepreneurs and academics.
Our work in Examinations provides people with access to UK qualifications, and opportunities for work and study in South Africa and internationally. South Africa is a key Examinations operation within the region encompassing Schools Examinations, IELTS (International English Language Testing System), and a wide range of academic and professional qualifications.
Challenges of the job include:
– Developing and delivering on a business strategy to ensure the sustainable growth of the Examinations business
– Energising, redesigning and developing the Examinations team and delivery model
– Ensuring compliance with British Council and awarding body standards for the delivery of Examination services across all Exam product areas
– Ensuring excellence across the entire customer journey and in client service for institutional partnerships and awarding bodies
– Preparing and leading the South Africa country and cluster teams through a period of change during the implementation of Examinations Transformation initiatives
– Designing, developing and delivering a structure and workforce capable of delivering on ambitious growth and quality targets
Leadership and management:
– Effective leadership of the South Africa team to ensure it creates the right climate for the Examinations operation to succeed
– Articulate a clear and compelling vision for the Examinations business to ensure the Examinations clarity about strategy and direction, and are committed to achieving a set of shared goals
– Develop the team to ensure it has the right mix of skills, experience and learning opportunities to deliver on current and future business opportunities and challenges
– Hold the Examinations team to account to deliver business performance to agreed financial and non-financial targets
– Manage the performance of the team according to corporate policy and process
– Actively contribute to the development of wider country, regional and SBU strategies
– Organisational Design and change management for South Africa as part of regional / global Examinations Transformation programme, in close liaison with Exams Regional Operations Manager.
Business development and performance:
– Develop a commercial strategy for Examinations with business targets and offers in line with market conditions and opportunities.
– Ensure the implementation commercial strategy through effective management of marketing, sales / pipeline, business development, key relationship / account management, and customer experience, in liaison with relevant country and regional colleagues
– Liaise effectively across SBUs on B2G and B2I opportunities /accounts
– Meet agreed volume, income and expenditure targets with accurate planning, forecasting and reporting according to country and regional timeframes and standards
– Financial management of the Examinations business according to corporate standards.
– Proactively seek opportunities to improve the financial efficiency of the Examinations business
– Ensure service delivery meets compliance standards, including Examinations Quality Compliance and Assurance, IELTS, and awarding body standards
– Implement and ensure effective operation of new processes, systems according to the regional Examinations Transformation rollout plan, in close liaison with Exams Regional Operations Manager.
– Proactively seek opportunities to improve the operational efficiency of the Examinations business
– Ensure the Examinations complies with all British Council polices and standards including Child Protection, Equal Opportunity & Diversity, and Essential Finance.
– Provide business assurance for the South Africa Examinations operation to country and regional leads
– Proactively identity, report and manage risks related to the Examinations business
Key relationships: (include internal and external)
Internal: Country Director, Customer Service Manager, HR Manager and other key country colleagues. Director Examinations SSA, Regional Examinations Managers, Examinations teams in cluster countries, Regional Customer Service and Marketing teams, HQ Examinations team, Business Support Services Team, Examinations teams in Namibia, Mozambique and South Africa
External: Awarding Bodies, Key Customers and stakeholders
Other important features or requirements of the job (e.g. travel, unsocial/evening hours, restrictions on employment etc) The post requires frequent travel in the country and cluster and occasional weekend/evening work.