Our Senior Media Officer will provide expert media handling advice and carry out media work, including protection and promotion of WaterAid reputation and issues in the media, both in the UK and internationally.
Working within the media team, the Senior Media Officer will:
- Drive WaterAid’s communications work with exciting, innovative and effective media strategies for fundraising appeals, celebrity support, advocacy campaigns and policy work and key corporate partnerships, both proactively and reactively as appropriate
- Advise WaterAid staff up to the Chief Executive (in consultation with the relevant manager or Global Head of Media) on communicating through the media, and on the risks and opportunities of external messaging.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, UK and international media and widen interest in WaterAid’s work; write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house or external, and join our 24/7 on-call rota.
To be successful, you’ll need to have:
- A university degree or equivalent work experience, including proven experience as a journalist, in a PR agency or in an in-house press office;
- Proven ability to think ‘outside the box’ to generate a wide range of media coverage through proactive media campaigns, or equivalent high-profile work as a journalist;
- Strong understanding of how the media can be used as an influencing tool, whether to encourage fundraising and engagement or influence decision makers.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, who have an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also have the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
Our wide range of benefits including agile/flexible working, generous annual leave and additional leave purchase, exceptional pension, employee assistance programme and fitness and social initiatives.
Please note: We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
This vacancy will end one minute before midnight on the closing date specified.
- Senior Media Officer Nov17.pdf (0.83 MB)