Role: Drama Consultant/Trainer
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Duration/dates: 13 days inclusive of travel and preparation, 10 days of which must be the workshop period, in February 2019.
How to apply: Interested candidates with the required qualifications should submit their CV together with a covering letter which explains why s/he is suited to the role and your expected fee per day in US dollars to the following address: [email protected] with the subject title “Drama consultant/trainer”.
Closing date: 6 January 2019
BBC Media Action Somalia/Somaliland is currently implementing a 20-month programme aimed at helping Somali women, including women from marginalised groups, to take part in and benefit from business activities in both the formal and informal market.
BBC Media Action Somalia will produce a weekly national radio magazine programme, ‘Making Waves’, broadcast on BBC Somali Service radio. ‘Making Waves’ will be a national platform to promote dialogue amongst women and men. It will question discriminatory norms and explore alternatives – building men’s support for, and awareness of, the multiplier effect of gender equality in the distribution of economic and financial resources. It will also offer practical guidance on how women can, and already have, overcome barriers to economic inclusion. ‘Making Waves’ will also provide information on business opportunities which will be of value to both women and men, and we hope this will inspire women to value and access training and mentoring support.
We are seeking applications from an experienced Drama Consultant/Trainer to lead the delivery of a drama story writing workshop for a small group of scriptwriters and actors in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
The Drama Consultant/Trainer will work with group scriptwriters on the development of a story arc for an episodic radio drama programme for audiences across Somalia.
- Deliver a one day workshop for the scriptwriters and Senior Producer and Studio Technician in basic scriptwriting skills for drama, in line with the project needs and requirements.
- To take part (with the drama team) in hearing / discussing the relevant formative research findings of the project on the exact messages the drama is to address.
- To spend 8.5 working days (a half day off) with the i) Scriptwriters, ii) BBC Media Action production team iii) Any actors to articulate the overarching story, and then break it down into steps that enable the mapping out of sub-story plots, the identification and continuity of characters and the production of a coherent synopsis for each of the 10 episodes.
- To help scriptwriters and actors draft scripts of one or two episodes of the drama under his/her close supervision during the workshop.
- To support final selection process of the lead scriptwriter and Assistant from the pool of the scriptwriters’ trainees.
- To plan next steps – agree a rehearsal and recording schedule for the series and the writing schedule
- Production team supported to produce 1-2 draft episode scripts
- Synopses for 10 episodes of ‘Making Waves’
- Development of subjects and topics for the team to create the following 10 episodes ( episodes 11-20)
- An agreed rehearsal and production schedule for the team
- Training report with well-articulated next steps
Essential skills and experience required:
- A minimum of five years’ relevant experience in production or script-writing as a Consultant or Trainer
- Experience in radio drama and demonstrable experience of fostering creative writing for radio in others
- Excellent understanding of how to promote women’s empowerment and economic opportunities, particularly for marginalised communities
- Familiarity with Somalia/Somaliland and an in-depth understanding of the country’s history, politics, social issues, mindsets, attitudes and contemporary issues
- Demonstrable understanding of the role of media and communications in development is desirable