Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
This is an exciting position currently open within Oxfam responsible for implementing all policies and procedures regarding security & safety in Oxfam in Nigeria operations in the North-East Nigeria.
We are currently recruiting for the position of
Program Development and Quality Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno – Nigeria (Frequent day travel to other field bases)
Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Start date: as soon as possible
Oxfam is a confederation of 17 Affiliates committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach. Oxfam in the North-East of Nigeria delivers Emergency Response Programming across four integrated sectors: WASH, EFSVL, Protection and Education in Emergencies. Oxfam works in remote areas meeting the needs of the most isolated and vulnerable populations in the on-going crisis. The work contributes to the overall Lake Chad Basin response strategy of Oxfam.
Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North East Nigeria has significantly and rapidly scaled up in the past year; the programme now delivers services across four sectors and two states, as well as playing a key role in coordination and quality across the wider response. At this stage, the coordination team has become large and a need has been identified to consolidate our programme quality team into one unit, to more efficiently support the implementation teams across all Oxfam areas of intervention. As this is a new position within the response team, the incumbent will therefore have significant scope to define the direction of the department, and the direction of Oxfam programming in the North East more broadly. The PDQ Co will support the response manager through ensuring quality programming is delivered, and will lead on programmatic development and strategy, ensuring an integrated, evidence based and joined up approach across all technical sectors and functions. The PDQ Coordinator supervises the Business Development Team, MEAL, IM and Technical coordinators.
Areas of Responsibility
Program Strategy and Development
- Support overall strategic planning and reporting for Nigeria’s emergency response.
- Track and review calls for proposals and identify new funding opportunities that match Oxfams’s strategic interests.
- Support the conceptualization and design of cost effective, innovative and high quality programs, ensuring relevance to stakeholders and agency strategy.
- Coordinate development of concept notes, proposals and budgets, including coordinating closely with Oxfam Nigeria technical, finance and operational staff, as well as headquarters and regional Technical Support Unit to facilitate input, and ensuring donor compliance
- Apply the agency’s best practices in proposal development efforts for institutional donors.
- Ensure learning is incorporated into all new business development
- Work closely with the Gender Advisor to ensure robust gender analysis and mainstreaming throughout current and future programming
Managing program monitoring evaluation, learning and accountability team:
- Manage MEAL Coordinator who provides technical support to Oxfam programme teams on implementing MEAL in all programmes, according to Oxfam global standards such as putting women in the heart of all we do
- Provide technical advice to strategic and operational program reviews. Ensures high quality programme planning, monitoring and evaluation including regular field visits, periodic reviews, communication of progress and results and knowledge management.
- Ensure evidence based programming through regular programme quality review meetings with MEAL and Technical Coordinators
- Facilitate programme/project planning processes, particularly on logic of intervention
- Provide the specific research design, key questions to be addressed, and methodological approaches to be used to be used to establish baseline survey, mid-term review and final evaluation and ex post assessment.
- Establish a robust knowledge management and learning system on how KM & L will take place between levels of the system and compile the monthly Program Situation Report with robust beneficiary date, programme information per field base and technical area, % of secured funding and support needs and programe successes.
- Support the MEAL Coordinator to Develop and implement M&E System, M&E Plan, Reporting Indicators, and M&E Tools; used for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impacts.
- Periodic supportive supervision and Data Quality Assessment visits to state teams, partners, and communities
Capacity Building for Partner and Oxfam Staff
- Design and lead the delivery of proactive strategic program quality capacity building plan,
- designing and implementing capacity building initiatives and mobilizing resources for training, coaching and mentoring, as appropriate
Supervision of Technical Coordinators:
- Ensure the quality implementation of programming through direct support from the Oxfam team of technical coordinators
- Ensure consistency of quality across all implementation sites through regular visits from technical coordinators
- Ensure the good integration of technical expertise into the MEAL department and vica versa
- Interact with Oxfam communities of practice working on programme quality to represent the issues emerging from the programme, to remain up to date with internal good practice and to solicit capacity building and other support when necessary.
- Supervision of IM Manager to ensure quality information is analysed and disseminated throughout the response and externally
Skills and Competencies
- BA/S or equivalent in social science, management, international development, or other relevant field; MA/S in similar relevant fields preferred.
- 5-7 years of progressive experience and proven high level of competence in working in international settings, ideally in conflict-affected countries.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with humanitarian and development programming.
- Demonstrated success with program development and design, including conceptualizing and articulating programming ideas in concept notes and proposals, and knowledge of major institutional donors regulations
- Solid experience of developing and managing monitoring and learning systems
- Excellent capacity in developing and delivering MEAL objectives across a large, complex programming portfolio
- Consistent flexibility and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances
- Resource management, training , capacity building, coaching, and mentoring skills
- Good analytical skills. Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector working
- Strong leadership, communication, and project management skills.
- Previous experience with Oxfam preferred, as well as Nigeria or similar complex emergencies
- Ability to work with a multi-ethnic team in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Proficiency in English is essential;What we offer Oxfam (Novib) is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between EU 2962, – to EU 4557, –
How to apply
Prospective candidate must be available and willing to commence work immediately.
If you are interested in this position, please press the ‘apply’ button and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by December 22, 2017 at the latest. Please note that previous applicants need not apply.
Only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
“Oxfam is an equal–opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, colour, religion, etc.