BP is one of the world’s leading international oil and gas companies. Through our work we provide customers with fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, lubricants to keep engines moving, and the petrochemicals products used to make everyday items as diverse as paints, clothes and packaging. Our objective is to create value for shareholders and supplies of energy for the world in a safe and responsible way. We strive to be a safety leader in our industry, a world-class operator, a responsible corporate citizen and a good employer.
Our Upstream segment is responsible for our activities in oil and natural gas exploration, field development and production, and midstream transportation, storage and processing.
At the same time, we’re investing in the talents of the 20,000 people who work to make these activities a reality.
This role supports BP business in Mauritania & Senegal Region by working effectively with external stakeholders, specifically with government at all levels. The incumbent will provide advice and expertise on relationship with government entities, public institutions, communities and other external stakeholders; manage the Community Liaison Officers, build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and help to manage reputational and non-technical risks. The role will be based in Senegal and report to the VP Communications & External Affairs for Mauritania and Senegal.
- Represent BP with government authorities, regulatory bodies to manage and mitigate reputational and non-technical risks.
- Support the region in delivering country reputation and lobbying plan effectively and consistently.
- Maintain an effective relationship map with government bodies for businesses. Identify and cultivate relationship with appropriate government entities and persons, seek collaborations to support common objectives and BP’s interests.
- Lead and support community affairs activities and agenda in-country through active engagement with stakeholders, communities, programme implementing partners and industry. This includes managing the community liaison officers and associated processes.
- Analyze external risks and identify and implement mitigating actions in a systematic way.
- Support country leadership during events and strategic speaking opportunities to external audiences to promote and drive strategic priorities and brand reputation.
- Make sure appropriate and systematic plans, processes and contacts are in place to establish proper, effective and regular relationship with people in government entities.
- Provide guidance to businesses on compliance issues and regulatory matters. Develop and coordinate implementation of advocacy strategies for businesses to proactively engage in regulatory decision processes.
- Work closely with related functions and segments within country and the region, (i.e. Legal, Finance, E&C etc.) to ensure clarity and efficiency in external affairs.
- Represent and support the business in key industry associations.
- University degree preferably in Public Relations, Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration or Management.
Essential experience and job requirements
- A highly skilled external affairs professional with extensive experience in the design and delivery of external affairs strategy and implementation.
- Government relations experience, preferably within a large, international organization.
- Ability to develop and implement external affairs strategies that are built on an understanding of local needs.
- Personal impact and influencing skills. Strong communication skills – convey information clearly, succinctly, and in language which is easily understood by external audiences, both when speaking and when writing.
- Ability to work well with a de-centralized team across multiple locations and establish successful interfaces within the company.
- Fluent in English and French language.
- Good digital skills.
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Good personal organization/planning skills, time management and flexibility.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Yes – up to 25%
Is this a part time position?