Key Responsibilities Understand the needs identified by industry and market analysis and manage relationships with Marketing teams
- Based on the needs and with other members of the R&D organisation, establish the projects within the different research areas that you will assist to, identify programs of work and establish internal and external human and material resources to achieve them
- Conduct research programs ensuring compliance with the deadlines and budgetary commitments, ensuring all opportunities for the development of new Intellectual Property are assessed after technical validation of the results
- Develop new test methods that are able to demonstrate and / or enhance the performance and / or safety of our products
- Monitoring of external collaborations assigned to you
- Represent the Group in external professional organisations (industry standardisation groups, conferences, congress, etc.)
- Contribute to the operation and continuous improvement of the department by active involvement in matters of HSE and Quality
- Managing a team of technical staff
- You must ensure that the activities carried out comply with HSE requirements (compliance with regulatory requirements relating to the health, safety and environment) and the Quality Management system used by the Research Department of the Marketing & Services branch of Total.
- Work with your team on a daily basis to ensure appropriate prioritisation and resolution of technical problems
- Design and prepare their annual training plans
- Performance evaluation and feedback throughout the year and particularly at the end of year review
Contexte and environment
The position is within the Powertrain and Materials Technology Department which is responsible for the development of testing methods used to investigate the performance of TOTAL automotive fuels and lubricant products for the Marketing and Services branch of TOTAL.
The position combines four principal technical elements, (i) a strongly integrated partnership with the product development departments in the R&D organisation, contributing directly to the development of new products via an integrated contribution at the project level to the development of products that are able to meet the performance targets required by the Sales and Marketing commercial teams; (ii) An ongoing intelligence activity relating to the emergence of new technologies in the automotive sector that present opportunities and / or threats to the TOTAL fuels and lubricants product ranges via ongoing and close relationships with vehicle and engine builders and their tier 1 suppliers; (iii) the development of new engine and vehicle testing methodologies allowing TOTAL to develop new products and differentiate these products versus its competitors; (iv) the development of new engine and vehicle testing methodologies allowing TOTAL to understand the performance of its products at a fundamental chemical, physical and mechanical level.
The role requires a strong ability in mechanical engineering and/or a relevant and successful experience with engine and vehicle hardware and their application. It also requires significant collaborations with our Strategy and Marketing divisions.
The successful candidate will both have to design new testing methodologies and be creative with existing technology in order to meet the demanding technical and commercial targets of their projects and ultimately to add value to our fuel, fuel additives and lubricants businesses
The successful candidate will gain a large experience in Lubricants, Fuels and Fuel Additives which would be valuable to continue his/her career either in Research or moving to Marketing functions.
Training and knowledge
- Mechanical Engineer (e.g. IFP School), Ph.D in a mechanical discipline
- Professional experience preferred, having knowledge of vehicle powertrain technologies and their application
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (oral and written)
- German language an advantage
Offer ID: 10421BR
Process R&D, Products R&D, Applications/Systems R&D
Region, department, area
69 – Rhône
Experience level required
0 – 3 years, 3 – 6 years, 6 – 10 years
Affiliate (if known): TOTAL MARKETING SERVICES
Branch: Marketing & Services
Job Expires 30-Mar-2018