Grants Manager at IRC Nigeria
The Grants Manager provides works across the spectrum of pre-award, award and post-award grants management with a portfolio of grants/ donors. Directly supervised by the Senior Grants Coordinator, the position ensures donor compliance, reporting, proposal packaging for donor submission, conducting project cycle meetings, project document filing, preparing donor briefs and visibility. The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno State with travel to Abuja and other parts of the North East. S/he will work collaboratively with a range of colleagues in Nigeria and elsewhere, including other members of the Grants Team, M&E Team, technical coordinators, Operations, Finance, and with the Deputy Directors of Programs, and of Field Management.
AREAS of RESPONSIBILITY:
Strategy and planning
- Ensure that due process is followed for Project Cycle Meetings both, including preparation of all necessary materials, follow-through, taking a lead as necessary.
- Act as custodian of documentation of institutional knowledge and program activities in coordination with relevant sector supervisors and coordinators.
- Maintain comprehensive electronic files for programs, and ensure IRC colleagues and have access to relevant records and information.
Donor relations and communications
- Liaise with donors and potential donors, and other operational partners, including through attendance at meetings, and represent IRC and IRC’s interests by maintaining positive and constructive relations.
- In coordination with relevant colleagues, respond to requests from donors for compliance information and respond to donor compliance questions as needed.
- Ensure that colleagues and relevant others are aware of all relevant donor communications, changes in regulations, and meetings or events.
- Facilitate and participate in donor visits and/ or meetings as per the agreed timeline of visits.
- Provide training to IRC staff on compliance and donor-specific compliance requirements.
- Ensure immediate reporting of suspected fraud cases through appropriate reporting mechanism.
- With the support of the Senior Grants Coordinator, coordinate the development of quality proposals and narrative reports with relevant teams, including acting as lead writer when necessary.
- Liaise with HQ units (regional, Awards Management Unit, technical units) to ensure proposals meet internal standards, apply IRC’s Outcome and Evidence Framework and are responsive to donor requirements.
- Support program staff in assessing funding opportunities for fit with IRC Nigeria’s strategic objectives and the local context, advising on these as required.
- Work with coordinators and managers to coordinate the timely development of high quality new funding proposals and reports.
- Monitor and support the use of grants management tools such as the FM01, BvAs, and OTIS to ensure accurate tracking of opportunities, reporting and adjustments through the project life cycle.
- Provide technical guidance on IRC and donor regulations to ensure compliance across IRC Nigeria, proactively raising and resolving issues.
- Manage all reporting deadlines, coordinate and consolidate report as necessary to ensure documents are of the highest quality and in line with donor requirements.
- Act as a focal point for HQ grants administration and compliance colleagues, including maintaining submissions on IRC’s online opportunity management tracking system (OTIS).
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity on grants and partnerships, enhancing knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance.
- Maintain close communication and positive working relations with partners.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Management Team.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in international affairs, development, international political economy or other relevant subject
- Demonstrable experience working in grants management and proposal/ business development/ design
- Knowledge of donor compliance regulations (OFDA, USAID, ECHO, DFID, SIDA etc)
- Proven previous successful experience developing projects, writing proposals and donor reports.
- Good communicator with strong organizational, time management and analytical skills
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Strong writing and editing skills with close attention to detail
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures but also use own initiative, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and circumstances
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, meet deadlines and work under pressure in an insecure environment
- Aptitude to adapt to a different context regarding security, culture, climate or health issues
- Willingness to travel
- Commitment to women’s rights and IRC’s vision, mission and values, including sensitivity to cultural settings
SPECIFIC SECURITY SITUATION/ HOUSING
The Senior Program Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria with travel throughout the sites where IRC has a presence. The security situation in North East Nigeria continues to be volatile with security level at 3 (orange); candidates should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position, and the Senior Grants and Partnerships Manager will live in shared housing.