The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Main purpose of job:
- To effectively manage and support the Deputy High Commissioner (DHC) & Deputy Head of Mission through efficient running of their office, diary and travel management, and helping to co-ordinate key activities across the mission.
- Provide support to Senior Leadership Team and post under the direction of the DHC.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Managing diaries of the Deputy High Commissioner & Deputy Head of Mission and their daily itinerary
- Receiving, dealing with and prioritising meeting requests from both internal and external stakeholders for DHC & DHM
- Co-ordinating effectively events/ functions hosted by the DHC & HC in conjunction with the Residence Manager. Issue out e-invitation/cards and monitor RSVPs in order to ensure maximum attendance at events.
- Recording meetings and drafting minutes (Senior Leadership Team, Lagos Joint Management Board, disciplinary panels and appeals, etc.)
- Receiving and dealing with official correspondences
- Line managing and developing DHC’s drivers.
- Receiving visitors to the Deputy High Commission.
- Covering for the Residence Manager when away
- Any other duty as assigned
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Excellent IT skills (including Microsoft Office); Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- The ability to respond flexibly to competing demands, often at short notice; Discretion and confidentiality
- Events Management.
- Experience working with senior management/ director level staff in a corporate environment.
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
4 January 2019
British Deputy High Commission
1 March 2019
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High Commission in Lagos are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
Obtain the relevant permit
Pay fees for the permit
Make arrangements to relocate
Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Deputy High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.