New York, NY
Job type:Charity – Not For Profit
WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation. Since our founding in 1981, we’ve already empowered 25.8 million people with clean water. That’s 25.8 million more healthy and independent people in the world. It’s a great start but we have so much more work to do. With your help, we can end the water crisis.
WaterAid’s New York office is seeking an experienced government contract specialist to ensure WaterAid delivers on its growing portfolio of contracts and sub-awards towards our global goal of reaching everyone, everywhere with clean water, decent toilets, and good hygiene within a generation.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, the USAID Compliance Specialist will serve as an internal expert responsible for leading WaterAid’s management of USAID contracts, Task Orders and sub-awards from inception to closeout, providing guidance to project teams, Federation Members and Country Programs offices and participating in all stages of the proposal development and management process.
The Specialist will join a high-performing Strategic Partnerships Team and work within a high-energy, fast-paced environment. To be successful, the Specialist is expected to have high personal expectations, possess a strong work ethic and sound judgement, and be an excellent communicator. Travel (up to 20% at peak times) may be required.
Specific duties & responsibilities include:
- Serve as primary point of contact and official representative of WaterAid to USAID on all contractual matters; negotiate terms of contracts, subcontracts and grants;
- Train WaterAid members in USAID rules & regulations and lead new compliance initiatives such as the development of training, contract-specific tools, guidance and policies;
- Perform necessary due diligence to ensure cost/price reasonableness and compliance with applicable U.S. Government regulations;
- Navigate compliance issues between technical, contractual, finance and management personnel; effectively translate concepts to programmatic and technical colleagues;
- At project start-up, review entirety of the contract, explain terms and conditions to international project stakeholders, and ensure project documentation is in order;
New business development
- Review and analyze risks of USAID and other donor solicitations to understand the terms and conditions;
- Provide guidance to Program Development Officers; review proposals to ensure that the submission is compliant with the solicitation and WaterAid policies;
- Prepare contractual clarification questions in response to requests for proposals; and interface and negotiate wherever needed to help resolve contract issues;
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience administering or managing US Government contracts, preferably within the international development sector;
- A strong working knowledge of US government international development policies and processes, rules and regulations;
- Exceptional attention to detail; high level of proficiency in Excel and experience managing complex budgets;
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated experience negotiating with government agencies, NGO coalitions and other stakeholders;
- A desire to work across cultures, job remits, time zones, and languages to learn from each other;
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally for up to 20% time at peak periods;
- Positive and flexible approach to working in a busy, open office and demonstrated willingness to support individuals at all levels;
- Creative problem-solving skills, resilience and adaptability;
- Professional demeanor in communicating on behalf of and representing WaterAid;
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
We are particularly interested in candidates possessing:
- Graduate degree in finance, public policy, international affairs, or related relevant area;
- Additional trainings or certifications in USAID Rules and Regulations;
- A technical background in an area intersecting with WASH: health, education, gender, or climate change and extensive NGO and USG relationships in that sector;
- French and/or Spanish language skills, written and spoken.
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
WaterAid offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other insurances; paid-time off; and 403(b) retirement.
Click on ‘Apply’ for the full description of the job.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected]with “USAID” in the subject line no later than 30 August 2019.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the US.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.